Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Favorite Web 2.0 Tools

My favorite two Web 2.0 tools are blogs and social networking sites.  I just recently started using blogs and I actually find them very interesting.  Blogs are useful to allow people to not only post their opinions about certain topics but they also provide examples or helpful tools that assist people.  Another thing I love about blogs is that people do not have to understand HTML in order to create one.  It's very simple to create and follow. 

My second favorite Web 2.0 tool is social networking sites.  This is a favorite tool of mine because it allows people to not only connect with friends around the globe, but it can also help you with your career.  As sad as this may sound, sometimes getting a job is not about what you know but who you know.  Although employers will not speak the truth about this, I know this is true because I've been hired by people I know.  Social networking sites are increasing by the numbers but users also have to take precautions to protect their privacy.  Most users on these sites such as facebook or myspace does not block their profiles which allows outsiders to access personal information.  My biggest fear with social networking sites is protection for little kids that are now allowed to access this site also.  There are several kids using the site for negative actions such as exposing body parts, using foul language, or starting confrontation.  Facebook is dominating the social networking sites with millions of online users across the globe. However, I wish the site would reinforce the policy of making it a requirement to have a college email address in order to have access.  Parents needs to be more involved in what their kids are doing and for those kids that are abusing the sites, parents need to block their access to these sites.

1 comment:

  1. I think many of us will agree that social networking sites, such as Facebook, are one of our top web 2.0 sites. They can be so beneficial and allow you to be involved with so many people and organizations. I agree that there need to be an age limit, or use of a college email address, in order to access the site. Access to the internet in general is such a freedom for such young children and it is scary what they have access to.

    ReplyDelete